ON THE WAY WAY OT: Medium format (was: Re: [OM] OM:"slick" ebay dealer)

Subject: ON THE WAY WAY OT: Medium format (was: Re: [OM] OM:"slick" ebay dealer)
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:07:18 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Lex Jenkins wrote:

> At the risk of OT drift...

I'm happy to push the drift a bit.... ;)

> One reason I've avoided medium format system cameras is that I just don't
> grok the concept of setting up such a system.
>
> "Okay, sir, here's your Broniblad.  That'll be $1,500."
>
> "Uhh...where's the camera?  This is just a box with a mirror."
>
> "Oh, well, you'll be needing a few other items.  Let's see, dark slide,
> $150; rollfilm back, $200; focusing screen, $100; lens, $900; would you
> prefer the prism viewfinder at $1,200 or ... no? okay, then, standard
> viewfinder, $150.  That's a total of just $3,000.  And what film for you,
> sir?"

Let's see. I recently acquired a slightly used Mamiya 645 camera (okok,
you out there, 60x45mm² _IS_ medium format, allright?). I paid less than
USD800 for a setup including body, focusing screen, shaft viewfinder,
prism viewdinder w. meter & Auto Exposure, 120-insert, new (so it looked -
really) 80mm Mamiya lens - and 3 Velvia 120-films.

I also recently got an offer of a freshly CLA'ed Mamiya RZ (70x60mm²) with
110mm, back, lens and some other stuff for about USD1600. I am short an
enlarger for that size negatives, so I am going to skip thatone, although
it is a nice setup.

And finally, I recently missed (mental note: never go on vacation
again!) a Bronica w. 2 120-backs, a polaroid back and 2 lenses (IIRC 80
and 150mm), which was as new and being sold for less than USD1000.

So, Lex, my latest Mamiya acquisition was just about twice as expensive
as the latest Olympus-acquisition (a Zuiko 24/2.0, btw). Otoh., the
factory-new Mamiya 645 cost an arm and a leg. Especially since the
E-series has a bad bad prism viewfinder and those with a shaft / waist
level are the "pro"-series (I use the medium format on a tripod and hence
prefer the shaft....if I wanted something with a fixed prism, I'd use my
trusted Olympi....)

Well, gear is gear ;)

To bring us back on topic, I think I have recently had my
OM-"collection" completed. The acquicition of the 24/2.0 filled a hole in
my line of equipment. Even though I have been thinking really really hard,
I have been unable to come up with anything OM-related that has to be "the
next thing I cannot live without". Somehow, it seems that I have the
OM-bodies and the lenses which are sufficient to satisfy my photographic
needs - heretic as it may sound to some (Tom?).

Ohh, and I have way way less gear than Tom, btw.....so I am nowhere near
having a "full house".

I guess then next photographic thing to look for will be a (new) 200/4.0
for the Mamiya and an (again new) enlarger to replace the two I have
(which are, respectively, for 35mm and 60mm - I'd prefer one that does
both).

Not terribly OMish, ehh? Am I still allowed in on the list?

--thomas