RE: [OM] protecting images from theft

Subject: RE: [OM] protecting images from theft
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:39:48 -0400 (EDT)
I know the "International Lyrics Server" (www.lyrics.ch) has managed
to solve the problem by downloading a Java applet to your platform.
This applet will detect any key presses or mouse clicks and then
clear the page to prevent you from printing or capturing it.

If you have heard about the current copyright problems with Napster,
you'd understand the length the music community will go to protect
their "property".  The Lyrics Server used to be hosted in the USA,
and they ran into trouble with the copyright holders; so they moved
the server out of the country but still not enough to protect
themselves from the legal system.  Finally they implemented this
mechanism to prevent someone from printing out the (copyrighted)
lyrics (but you can still copy it down by hand if you are quick
enough, because it scrolls by pretty fast).  Apparently this applet
was good enough for the music copyright holders to allow the Lyrics
Server to continue to make the lyrics available.
        -Dan