RE: [OM] Vivitar 285 flash for Oly 75-150mm lens... is it a good trade?

Subject: RE: [OM] Vivitar 285 flash for Oly 75-150mm lens... is it a good trade?
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 01:09:37 -0400
Chris,
1. The 75-150 was never MC, SC only.
2. Vivitar 285 is possibly worth a 75-150 Zuiko.  285 will change coverage
from 35-135 by sliding fresnel lens back and forth.  Changing f/stop
required for each focal length change is shown on illuminated calculator
panel on right side of flash.  Guide # is ~120 with ISO 100 film.

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

The OM-2 I just bought also came with a Vivitar 285 flash that's in pretty
good shape but doesn't have a cable, any of the add-on lenses, or
instructions.  'Nuther words, just the flash and battery holder.

While I was in my local used camera store, Used Camera Man tried to
sell me a Zuiko multi-coated (didn't say "MC" but sure looked multi-coated
when I looked at the front elements) 75-150mm two-touch zoom that's in
pretty darned good shape (maybe E+ or thereabouts?).  I'd really rather
get a mult-coated 100-200 (which he didn't have in stock), but when I
asked him what the Vivitar 285 might be worth he replied, "About the
same as this-here 75-150 lens!"

Uhhh....  I don't know anything about Vivitar flashes, so would someone
in the know tell me whether or not that's a reasonable swap???

Thanks, yet again, for any advice you can provide.

Regards,

Chris