[OM] OM4Ti Grief

Subject: [OM] OM4Ti Grief
From: Ralph Nitschke <rnitschke@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:19:50 -0700
Aargh!

Just finished putting my recently serviced 4Ti through a series of tests.
The good news is they fixed the problem (dark line at the bottom of the
pictures).  To remedy the problem they say they 'Repaired & lubricated
mirror mechanism, adjusted speeds and replaced the light seals'.

The problem however, is that the camera no longer focuses properly!

Using my trusty OM1 I did a frame-by-frame comparison using the same film,
lenses (and aperture settings), and focusing screen (1-13).  I tripod
mounted the camera, used a cable shutter release and used the split-screen
focusing aid to elliminate any possibility of user error.  End result, the
images from OM1 are razor sharp while the OM4 is defintely fuzzy.  Espcially
when the depth-of-field is non-existant (i.e. 50mm @ 1.8).

Things learned: new respect for my 20+ year-old OM1 that has never seen the
inside of a repair shop.  Wish John H. had a shop in Canada!

Aargh,

Ralph

Ralph Nitschke
stox.com