Re: [OM] Airplanes -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] Airplanes -Reply
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:57:41 EDT
My own experience leads me to believe it's the flat, dull paint pure and
simple. I've "tested" AF cameras on the parked aircraft for over 20 years,
since my first Minolta 5000. All of the AF cameras I've tried had difficulty
or was completely unable to lock focus on the flat colors when the entire AF
focus frame was filled with the flat color (no edge of the A/C in the frame).
The same cameras on the same day had no trouble with gloss painted examples.
This was before the days of stealth and your "IR hole" theory would not have
been possible. The same "test" could be done today with the "wonderbricks"
and probably get the same results.

George S.