Re: [OM] OM4 problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 problem
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 21:22:02 -0700 (PDT)
Mark wrote:

Got a problem with my OM4. I thought it was just
dead batteries but tried them in my OM2n without a worry so now I am
worried! (snip) . . . Any advice would be really appreciated
Mark,

Your problem could stem from the type of batteries you're using. As
Brian Huber points out, the OM-2N can run on "deader" batteries (i.e.
batteries with a lower remaining voltage) than the OM-4. The use of
alkaline cells (e.g. LR44) would cause a problem in the OM-4 after some
weeks, because their voltage diminishes with usage and will eventually
fall below the threshold demanded by the OM-4; the OM-2N, with its
lower voltage threshold, might still be able to work on batteries that
the OM-4 rejects. However, even though the 2N *appears* to function
correctly on half-dead alkalines, you'll have problems with inaccurate
light measurement and resultant exposure errors due to the low voltage.
Silver oxide cells (e.g. 375, SR44) don't cause these problems because
they maintain an almost constant voltage over their lifetime. Only
silver oxide cells are suitable for OM cameras. Hope that helps.

Regards,

=====
Ray