Re: [OM] Hoya lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Hoya lens?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 10:13:22 GMT
Roger Hicks, who tests gear and writes about it for a living (Shutterbug mag and many books), says he's never noticed a nickel's worth of difference between the major brands of filters. In his tests even the Cokins didn't harm resolution. (Excluding those types of filters that by their nature interfere with resolution - softening, etc.)

I don't doubt that certain UV/haze/skylight filters may prove optically superior to others, but when it comes down to nths of a degree, it's hardly significant for most photography. In my experience the major difference has been in filter ring quality - more money buys a better quality ring that won't jam in the threads, and glass that fits the ring properly rather than loosening up where it's vulnerable to chipping.

Anyone out there ever had or seen a Rolev filter? You know what I'm talking about. Plastic rings that warp or crap aluminum that jams, ill-fitting glass, etc.

Personally, I thought the line of filters Vivitar used to market were pretty good. Still have several, altho' in odd sizes - 46mm, 48mm.

Lex
===