Re: [OM] Eye Fixers

Subject: Re: [OM] Eye Fixers
From: ZuikoholicRI@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:35:51 EDT
In a message dated 08/03/2000 12:39:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> As I understand it, here's my options for enhancing my focusing abilities
>  on the OM-2:
>
>  1.  Eyecup and dioptric correction lenses
>  2.  Varimagni finder
>  3.  Focusing screen (one that's sharper than the 1-13 standard one)
>
>  Now for the questions...
>
>  1.  Which one (or combination) is probably the best option?  (Of course,
>  if I go with the dioptric correction lenses I should probably talk to my
>  optomitrist about which one)

For normal use, a correction lens in an eyecup is probably your best bet

>  2.  If the focusing screen option is a good idea, which one?  I can't
>  afford a Beattie at US$80 but I was thinking maybe a 1-14 would be a
>  little easier as the split image is at 45 degrees.  Is that correct
thinking,
>  or
>  are there better/sharper/easier-to-focus ones?

I don't think the 1-14 will allow you to focus more accurately than the 1-13.
It's just more convenient. A 2 series screen will be brighter, which may help
in some situations and with some lenses, but it needs to be modified to fit
the OM-2, and it throws off the manual meter and the shutter speed display in
auto. The Beattie will have the same affect, and the Oly screen is actually
cheaper.

>  3.  If the Varimagni finder is the way to go, someone commented in a
>  recent e-Bay ad that they were selling theirs because it was hard to use
>  while wearing glasses, so do you use it without your glasses or what.

The Varimagni is a great focusing aid, IMO. It provides both magnification
and dioptric correction. Not really convenient for handheld or casual
shooting, although I almost always have mine with me when I bring my tripod
along.

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings