Re: [OM] Shutter problem/om1

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter problem/om1
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 17:48:31 +0200
On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 05:06:32AM +0900, dhg wrote:
> My Om1 has developed a rather interesting/perplexing problem: when the
> shutter button is engaged, the shutter curtains open and the mirror
> slaps up as it should. However, neither the curtains nor the mirror
> return to their correct position. The only way to bring them back to
> normal position is to remove the battery; nothing else works.
>
> Any ideas?

I stared my OM-days with a OM 40, which had the same Problems.
(I guess your OM isnt a 1)

I`d describe the erroras this: the fist shutter curtain opens, and then the
second didn`t close !, that`s why the Mirror wait`s open till the exposure
ends. Removing the battery ends this lock. And after winding the film
you may shoot some pictures to the next failure.
( I practiced this for a two week jurney don`t buy a camera the day bevore
 you leave!).

The repairman at the shop diagnosed an unrepairable electronic failure,
so . I was glad that the vendor aceeped a
swap to a OM-1, And I haven`t lost some Monney (warranty).

Now, Knowing more about OM´s, I`d guess that the problem is in the
 magnetic way the second sutter curtain is hold back during exposure.
More Details at the OM FAQ.
<. http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml>

Maybe the magnet shold get demagnetized or simply cleanded?
- Maybe?

Frieder Faig