Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)

Subject: Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 00:45:54 GMT
Speaking as a former photojournalist - which continues to influence my shooting style - my idea of a truly light kit would be a single body, the 35-70/3.5-4.5 Zuiko (which I don't own yet, but will), and some Fuji Superia X-tra 800. A neutral density filter would take care of any too-bright conditions. I might tote a T20 flash, but only if it would fit in a pocket. Wait, strike that ... my old PipSqueak 200 flash fits a pocket better. The ideal walking around kit needs no gadget bag.

If I *really* thought I'd need 'em, and was willing to add the gadget bag, the 28/2.8 and 75-150/4 would go along. But if the gadget bag is along for the ride, why not take the 50/1.8 too? It's perfect for all around and low light shooting.

The reason I'm a big fan of Fuji Superia X-tra 800 is that in prints up to 8x10 there's hardly enough difference in visible grain compared with the slower films to warrant putting up with the hassles of having to lug a tripod or pass up some great shots. In 4x6 prints I simply cannot tell any difference whatsoever between Fuji Superia 100, 200, 400 and 800 - I have to look at the negative margins. Superia X-tra also handles fluorescent lighting very well.

Lex
===