RE: [OM] 35mm Shift instructions or help needed

Subject: RE: [OM] 35mm Shift instructions or help needed
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 11:32:36 +0000
Brian gives the conventional instructions for a shift lens, but there are
reasons I shift and then use the TTL meter.

I have run into trouble with scenes that have a difference in luminance
level between the unshifted frame and the shifted one.  If you TTL meter
before shifting, watch your TTL metering after you shift.  If it changes,
look at the scene and determine if you need to adjust exposure based on a
difference in shadow and highlight content before and after the shift.
There are times also when I've adjusted from the TTL metering after the
shift.  For me, especially with the shift lens, the TTL metering for
setting exposure manually is a guideline.  Common sense and experience with
setting exposure should always prevail in this regard.