[OM] Polarizers and ND filters

Subject: [OM] Polarizers and ND filters
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:30:38 GMT
The point of this polarizer-as-a-substitute-for-neutral-density-filter discussion has gone astray as this thread has gone on. A polarizer has little, if any, effect in many, if not most, photographs - other, that is, than to serve as a neutral density filter.

Where no significant glare exists, there will be no significant variation in light transmission or metering regardless of how the polarizer is positioned.

Unless one's photographs are almost exclusively of large bodies of water, landscapes with lots of sky, or windows with lots of glare - assuming all sources of glare that *can* be minimized by a polarizer are at the correct angle.

For every other subject and photographic situation, a polarizer is basically just a neutral density filter with a rotating element. There should be no change in metering as the element is rotated when the lens is pointed toward any subject without a significant source of glare. If there is any change in metering, the polarizer and camera's TTL metering are a mismatch.

Even in situations where a properly matched polarizer/camera used on a subject heavy with glare indicates a metering change, such exposure modification isn't always appropriate. For example, when a polarizer is used to minimize sky or water glare to the extent that the meter calls for 1/2 a stop more exposure, this may not be the best choice since the surroundings may be overexposed - an important consideration with films like Kodachrome and Velvia.

The best reason I can think of *not* to rely on a polarizer is that the effect often looks false - skies so heavily affected at the corners it resembles vignetting; flat, muddy looking water with no highlights. For many situations where I see polarizers used a graduated ND filter - or no filter at all - may have been better.

Lex
===