Re: [OM] Hoya lens? and other grumblings...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hoya lens? and other grumblings...
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:33:52 GMT
I'm not sure what the emoticon for a tongue-in-cheek or ironic statement might be, so try to imagine I've used such as preface to this.

Why is it:

That when I was active in live theatre and was dead-solid certain I was a better director than most - I did nothing to prove it.

That my daughter's musician friends feel free to grouse about the no-talent bands out there making big bucks and getting radio play - but do nothing to grab their own piece of the pie.

That I believe I'm a better playwright than most - but have only completed two plays and none within the last several years.

That I *know* with certainty I was a better journalist than the vast majority - but spent less time practicing journalism as a profession than I had studying it in college.

That many of us believe we are as talented as some well-known photographers - but nobody's heard of us.

The fact is that we can safely potshot from our anonymous foxholes at those who have taken the risk of making themselves accessible targets by putting their work before the public where it succeeds or fails on its merits, or lack thereof.

I can't defend every alleged mistake in the books written by Roger and Frances - I haven't read them all. Those I have seen are faultlessly illustrated. The text is blessedly free of the major flaw that plagues virtually every book of the "how-to" or "here's how I do" variety - they are not *boring*. They're also fairly free of superficiality and condescension - other pockmarks upon the genre.

I am fairly certain of what I said and didn't say during the course of this thread - despite the fact that my conversation for the most part during the past week has consisted of "What does the lion say? Rowrrr!" and "What does the cow say? Mooo!" with my 18 m/o grandson - and I'm fairly certain I never alleged that Roger's books contained tabular data of irrefutable tests or that he stated one could expect the glass equivalent of vaseline to have no detrimental effect on resolution.

What I did say is that Roger simply stated on CompuServe that in his tests he found no significant difference in resolution between filters of fairly equivalent quality, including Cokin's, or photos taken without any filters. He didn't reprint his methodology or numbers, and I didn't care to ask. I simply do not care. Roger has forgotten more about photography than I'll ever know. His wife, Frances, a late starter in photographer, has well surpassed me in her knowledge of the craft.

When someone requests an 8 *foot* by 10 *foot* copy of one of my images, I'll begin to worry about ultimate resolution. And promptly switch to large format.

Anyone who is persuaded that decent quality filters significantly impair resolution to the extent that years from now you'll be tearing at your breast in agony for having ruined countless images, please, feel free to mail me your useless filters. Those that I don't keep I'll dole out to unsuspecting photography students to hinder any potential competition for as long as possible. But, frankly, I doubt they'll be hindered for long if at all since some of the most imaginative work I've seen coming from young photographers indicates that they could give a rat's patootie about achieving absolute resolution.

And thank goodness for that.

Lex
===