Re: [OM] Tamron SP 80-200 (f2.8) vs. Tokina ATX 100-300 (f4)

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 80-200 (f2.8) vs. Tokina ATX 100-300 (f4)
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 13:48:58 -0400
At 9:42 AM -0700 8/7/00, you wrote:

I know, not Zuikos and rest assured _if_ Olympus had seen fit to produce
a Zuiko zoom in this range that is reasonably fast this would be a
no-brainer.

Anyway, I am looking to replace my Tamron SP 60-300 with something a
little faster and (hopefully) better. I am quite partial to Tamron and
have heard glowing things on this here list re: the SP 80-200 f2.8 as
well as the Tokina ATX 100-300. If I were to go with the Tamron I would
be using it with SP converters (1.4x and 2x) at times (but not always).
I would use the Tokina as-is.

I got one of these a while back and haven't put it through its
complete paces, but what I've seen I liked. Most of the pictures
I did for the last TOPE came out of this lens. The ratings at Gary's
are certainly pretty good...

Although you already work with such lenses, I would remind you that
it is one big honking piece of glass -- the main reason I don't use
it more. But the build quality is very smooth and sweet.

paul    yep, I'll just wander the streets of lower manhattan with a
        howitzer hanging off my neck

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx