Re: [OM] Roger Hicks, et alia

Subject: Re: [OM] Roger Hicks, et alia
From: lclark@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 21:12:19 -0400
In <LAW2-F272R6sKBEr8pk000021dd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, on 08/07/00 at 10:33 AM,
   "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>The text is blessedly free of the major flaw that plagues  virtually
>every book of the "how-to" or "here's how I do" variety - they are  not
>*boring*.

I find myself delighted with almost every piece I have read that Roger
Hicks has written -- just as much as I have delighted in your own
literate use of the language. It's a joy to read the prose of people
who still care. I'm talking about style and writing skill. It's akin to
the oft-quoted bit of praise about Rossini, that he could craft a song
from a laundry list. It's a celebration of technique, granted; but we
often praise sheer technique in these pages, don't we? We are thus
already sensitive to the practice of genuine craft, the more to
celebrate it these days, when mediocrity is so often the norm.

les clark / edgewater, nj / usa