[OM] Lots of nice people have asked about my wife, Debbie. (couldn't be

Subject: [OM] Lots of nice people have asked about my wife, Debbie. (couldn't be more off-topic).
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:25:25 -0500
Well, several people have been writing and asking how my wife is doing, and
they almost all suggested I post something to the list.  I don't really like
to bore the list with this kind of thing, so I don't post about it much.

The news is not, unfortunately, very good.  If you remember, she had her
second pancreas transplant at the beginning of June.

This one didn't work either.  In fact, it's even a little worse than didn't
work. For those not diabetic, your pancreas produces insulin.  Hers seems to
produce insulin randomly.  Most of the time, she's back to taking several
insulin shots a day.  Sometimes, the pancreas decides to chip in as well,
which causes her blood sugar to crash.  This happened last week so bad that
I had to take her into the emergency room, as she'd gone into a hypoglycemic
coma.

Great fun in our household.

The transplant center doesn't exactly know what is going on or what to do
about it.

So, we just struggle on and don't talk about it too much.

Thanks to everyone for your concern.

Tom