Re: [OM] Why all the shift lenses for sale?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why all the shift lenses for sale?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:23:55 +0000
At 21:15 8/8/00 , Dan Lau asked:
>item some day.  :-)  Would the 35 shift version make a good
>substitute for a 35 prime?
>       -Dan

I have one, and it is a very fine lens.

Mine has a very slight amount of pincushion, but you have to be fully
shifted and look for it under certain conditions with many parallel lines
running in the direction of the shift to even begin noticing it.  It
doesn't make a difference except under very unusual conditions.  A couple
of occasions when I thought it was noticeable pincushion, it turned out the
camera was not perfectly level.  Figured it out when I went back and
carefully shot the photos over.

I don't recommend them for use as a general 35mm prime.  They are longer,
heavier and manual stop-down because of the shift mechanism.  I have used
it hand held and shifted a few times because a tripod could not be used.
That's not recommended except as a last resort.

-- John