Re: [OM] Why all the shift lenses for sale?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why all the shift lenses for sale?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 03:15:40 GMT
My guess is that a lot of folks buy the Zuiko 35/2.8 shift because it's the most affordable shift lens available for 35mm cameras, and the lens seems to hold its market value pretty well. After experimenting with it for a while most folks discover it's not a convenient substitute for a regular wide angle lens and realize they have relatively little use for a shift lens. So off to market they go.

Look at it this way - if the going price on a good used Zuiko 1000/11 was just 500 bucks, and they were as common as the 35/2.8 shift, wouldn't you consider buying one just to try it out? Even if you resold it in a few years 'cause it turned out to be just ... too ... much?

Sure ya would.

Until I got hooked on documenting certain types of structures of historical or personal interest I didn't think I'd have much use for a shift lens. But as I became dissatisfied with the results I got with using ordinary wide angle lenses, I had to choose either a shift lens or adding a view camera or other camera with shift capabilities. And I really, really, really don't want to lug around anything but 35mm gear. Most of my structure finds are serendipitous or happenstance, and carrying large format gear everywhere "just in case" doesn't make sense for me.

So once I've got a shift lens I doubt I'll be parting with it.

Lex
===