[OM] Outrageous claim of the week

Subject: [OM] Outrageous claim of the week
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 00:17:12 -0700
Anyone else get bugged by outrageous claims in descriptions of items
being sold on the Internet?  Every once in a while I just want to scream
and say "where are they coming up with this stuff?"

Here is my latest - a mathematical impossibility:

50mm f/1.2 Zuiko (eBay #396399036):

<< Despite the fast lens speed, high resolving power shows no edge
fall-off in the picture. >>

No edge fall-off is mathematically impossible at wide apertures!  Here
is what I found:

Vignetting = C @ f/1.2, B @ f/1.5, B+ @ f/2, A @ f/2.8 and thereafter
where: C= apparent and intrusive and A = Not detectable.

Yikes.

If anyone else unearths another that gets under their skin, please
share.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV