Re: [OM] Lens Test

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Test
From: Garry Lewis <glewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 08:39:48 -0500
>Remember the 85 isn't macro sharp. You don't want to see that many wrinkles
>and blemishes on the model's face.

>Foxy

Foxy's comment reminded me of an old pet amazement-

        I find it whimsical that we strive to acquire the "sharpest" and the
"highest Resolution" lenses in a manufactures line. Then, when it comes time for
human vanity, we do everything possible to negate, circumvent, and destroy
those very qualities we say we "desire above all others" and are willing to
pay big bucks to have. I've always considered "soft focus" to be an oxymoron.

        Having been "in the business", I also have to admit to having been
hypocritical. I would be very challenged when a "Gregory Peck" guy would walk in
an want to be photographed to look like a "Brad Pitt". I learn very quickly
that vanity wasn't a "women only" trait.

        It also seems strange that a lenses' out-of- focus characteristics have
become just as important today as its' focusing acceptance.

                        yours with freshly cleaned lenses,

                                        Garry Lewis
--
I once tested all my lenses, and none of them knew anything about George
Washington nor the sum of 2+2.