Re: [OM] Why all the shift lenses for sale?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why all the shift lenses for sale?
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:17:35 -0500 (CDT)

> As with Gary Edwards, I am mystified why someone would do aerial work with
> a manual stop-down shift lens.  If anyone can shed some light on that it
> would be welcome!
>
> -- John

The reason would be to avoid rectilinear distortion while aiming to the
side. I see two main uses.

1. Wider swath. Mount two cameras pointing straight down, one shifted
left and one right. Fire at the same time to get a wide frame.
You could make a pretty good mapping system with a pod with
two OM-1s with motor drives, 250 backs, shift lenses and an intervalometer.
2. Stereo pairs. Mount one pointed straight down and shifted right.
Fly N past the target with it to the right. Turn to E and fly S with
target to right. The pair will not have the distortion relative to each
other that you would get if the camera was just pointed to right.

You want as much resolution as possible; so you would want to use as
much of the frame as possible. Therefore shifts may be preferable to
cutting pieces out of a wider angle frame.

Paul