Re: [OM] OM FS in Norway incl. 350 mm/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] OM FS in Norway incl. 350 mm/2.8
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 02:28:39 GMT
LOL! Gary, I'm relieved to find I'm not the only one suffering EGS (expensive gear syndrome). It took me a year or so to finally work up the nerve to handle some of Can-not-an-OM-non's L series IS lenses. After that I was able to touch some of the most expensive Zuikos without wincing. I also suffer from Leicaphobia, alas. I've never touched an M6 or anything in its price class for fear it might self-destruct on me.

This phobia is not baseless. While in college I supplemented my income working for a wholesale broker that delivered expensive Euro cars to various dealerships. (Weird but perfectly legal stuff - some dealers of Mercedes, Porsches, etc., couldn't sell all they had in stock while others could sell twice what they could get their hands on, so we arranged the transactions.)

During one particularly memorable delivery of a nearly new Porsche 911 I lost track of how many bits broke or fell off that car. First the window crank fell off. Then a strap hinge on the driver's door turned inside out and punctured the door jamb when I closed the door. My eyes nearly popped out of my head at that one - this supposedly magnificent car used cheap strap hinges to restrain the door, and tinfoil sheet metal! Then half the dashboard plopped into my lap. After that I went into shock.

All I can say for Porsche is they put all the money for the 911 into magically responsive handling (best snow and ice car I've ever driven) and an engine that begs to be pushed hard.

Luckily I was only driving from Houston to Columbus, Ohio. Otherwise I might have arrived at a farther destination driving only a chassis.

To quote Eddie Murphy from 'Beverly Hills Cop' - "Hey, find me a good parking spot 'cause all this sh*t happened the last time I was here!"

Lex
===