RE: [OM] Doubler to reach out and touch someone or thing.

Subject: RE: [OM] Doubler to reach out and touch someone or thing.
From: Dylan <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:11:08 +1000
I agree with Wayne. I have a 500/8 Zuiko, and though it's great, it is a
specialty lens and doen't get a whole heap of use. Since I have most of
the range below 500 covered, I don't use my 2xTC all that much either
now, but for a long time it was a real mainstay, attached on my 35-70
Zuiko or 70-210 Sigma. It wasn't a zuiko TC, not even close, but for
most telephoto shots I found it didn't really matter that the edge
resulotion and distortion were poor, since the centre of the picture was
usually the subject. Teleconverters work great for getting 'macro' shots
without loss of working distance, and I still use it that way with or
without extension tubes (with the ubiquitous 50/1.8).
Of course, in the long run you're not looking at an either/or decision;
get both and you'll have a 1000 f16, so the TC won't be obsolete until
you get the 1000 f11 zuiko. And then you'll still be able to use it for
those shots that call for a 2000 f22;-)
I've never had the Zuiko teleconverters, but while their optical quality
is generally regarded as superior, their design limits which lenses may
be able to be mounted, which hasn't been a problem with the generic TCs
I've used with an inferior 4 element design. IOW, there are tradeoffs
for both.
Dylan - now using Wayne's old teleconverter