Re: [OM] 3rd party auto extension tubes

Subject: Re: [OM] 3rd party auto extension tubes
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:38:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Barry B. Bean wrote:

> Although I'm a big believer in the superiority of everything Zuiko, I
> can't really see how the brand of an extension tube would matter.
> Unless I'm really missing a n important concept, a tube simply has to
> be level and light tight.

Of course the Zuiko ones are superior, why else would they cost so much
more? :-)  There is one big difference between the Olympus tubes and the
3'rd party ones. The Olympus tubes have a much larger inner diameter.  This
may or may not matter to you, it depends on what lens you plan on mounting
on the tubes.  The newer 80mm and 135mm macro lenses require Olympus
tubes due to the protruding rear element.  If you don`t plan on using
either of those two lenses, then a 3'rd party set will probably be fine.
                                -mark