Re: [OM] FAQ Additions

Subject: Re: [OM] FAQ Additions
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 06:55:17 GMT
Hi, Hal, and welcome,

Since I'm responsible for some of the confusing lingo I'll try to clarify.

Can-not-an-OM-on: A camera whose name resembles a field artillery piece but which is Not An OM. (My usual camera gear, tho' not necessarily my preferred gear - merely habitual.)

I coined this term in respect for unofficial policy to avoid littering the list with names of camera equipment other than Olympus. ;)

The "L" series glass refers to Can-not-an-OM-on's most expensive, professional line of lenses. Olympus has never officially made any such distinction between their lenses, which I believe is commendable. While some Zuikos are superior to others, it's not because Olympus chose to make certain lenses to "amateur" standards and others to "pro" standards (other than the Cosina-made lenses under the OM label, which is a whole 'nuther kettle of worms).

In fact, if you check the archives and either ask around or hang around and 'listen' you'll find many serious amateur and pro photographers who use Olympus gear prefer certain Zuikos for the light weight and compact size, even if it means a small compromise in optical performance.

Which brings us 'round to part of your original question. I'd bet few folks here would have serious disagreements with limiting your arsenal to just a 35-70/3.5-4.5 zoom (the tiniest) and the 75-150/4 zoom. At least until the addiction starts! Of course, I'm a lifelong fan of the 'normal' lens for any film format, so my 35mm camera must include a 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 lens. And I've never seen a tinier, lighter normal lens for an SLR than the Zuiko 50/1.8.

If I didn't absolutely need certain lenses for a project I'm working on I'd be perfectly content with the above choices - the 35-70/3.5-4.5 and 75-150/4 zooms. I'd *want* to add a normal lens and a wider angle lens, but I know from experience I really wouldn't absolutely need them. I'd just have to adjust my shooting style a little.

Lessee, what else ... oh, the shift lens ... it's designed to correct the perspective distortion that usually results from photographing relatively tall subjects such as buildings. Sometimes this distortion is called keystoning, altho' the keystone is reversed - the building appears to almost collapse inward and fall over backward as the effect becomes more exaggerated. When it is desirable to correct this distortion a shift lens literally shifts the front part of the barrel (upward, in most cases) to realign the image to a normal perspective. Older style view cameras accomplish the same thing by shifting either the entire lensboard at the front or the filmback at the rear. The shift lens was developed to give 35mm and medium format photographers the same control.

And the Vivitar flash you're thinking of is probably the 283 and 285 units. They're popular because they're relatively inexpensive (believe me, $75-$100 for a new electronic flash unit is cheap - check the prices of Norman and Quantam units and you'll see), reliable workhorses with good power (light output) for the money. They don't have a lot of bells and whistles, but they do offer certain features not commonly available in flash units at this price range.