Re: [OM] FAQ Additions

Subject: Re: [OM] FAQ Additions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 02:46:41 +0000
At 16:02 8/10/00 , Hal asked:

>That said, I'm sure this has been beat to death before, and I wonder why
>some info along these lines isn't in the Oly. Owners FAQ: Suggested Starter
>Set or Commonly Available First Choice lenses.  It seems like a wide angle,
>a 2x extender/ext. tube, and either a 135 or a 75-150 would make a good
>compact set.

[snip]

>Any advice?
>
>Also, is there a glossary for this group?  Whats a "Can-not-an-OM-non's L
>series IS lens", what does a "shift lens" do?  Why does everyone like the
>Vivitar (some number) flash, and why is it so expensive?

Well here's my nearly minimalist carry over the shoulder "kit:"

OM-4 body
50/1.2
35-105/3.4~4.5
24/2
135/2.8
Auto extension tube set

Very minimalist pares it down to the body and first two lenses.

For a "start-up" set lenses for general work I would recommend three:
50mm
35mm (f/2 or f/2.8), or 28mm (f/2 or f/2.8) or 24mm (f/2 or f/2.8)
85mm/2, or 100mm (f/2 or f/2.8) or 135mm (f/2.8 or f/3.5)

Several all purpose "walk-around" zooms:
35-70 (f/4 or f/3.6)
35-105/3.5~4.5

The faster lenses are more expensive and generally heavier, but not much
bigger especially when compared to other systems' counterparts.  Exactly
which lenses you choose to start with will depend on budget, style and any
specialized work you do continuously.

The shift lenses?  The OM system has two: the 35/2.8 Shift and the 24/3.5
Shift.  Both are manual stop-down and allow shifting the lens up, down,
left or right, much as one would shift the lens board on a view camera.
Shift lenses are also much more expensive than a normal wide angle in the
same focal length.  They are specialized lenses traditionally used for
serious architectural and structural photography where maintaining parallel
perspective lines in buildings and other structures can be important, but
not possible with a conventional lens.  For a tutorial about shift lenses
in general there is an excellent one here:
  http://www.bsag.ch/~fs/camera/fov.html

An invaluable source of information about the entire OM system, including
items still in production and those that are out of production, can be
found here:
  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif.htm
Hans has done a wonderfully thorough job of setting up the site!

-- John