Re: [OM] Vivitar 2x macro teleconverter

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 2x macro teleconverter
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:23:58 -0500 (CDT)

> Hi OM-gang!
>     Having read so much praise of it recently on this list I have just
> bought the Vivitar 2x Macro teleconverter from keh.com (BTW, they still have
> one Ex+ for $59 if anyone's interested). It has a focusing ring (my old
> no-name 2x teleconv didn't have one), I presume that it's for macro. It has
> two lines of numbers: one in blue that goes from 1:1 to 1:3 and then it has
> 0.45M/50mm, the other one is in white and goes from 1:1.15 to 1:20 and then
> infinity/50mm. I guess these are the macro settings for a 50mm lens, but
> what is the difference between the blue line and the white line. Is it that
> the blue line corresponds to the lens focused to 0.45 and the white one to
> the lens focused to infinity, or are they for two different types of 50mm
> lens?

They are for the olympus standard lenses at their infinity and closest
focusing distances.

>     Any hints on how to use the thing (focusing with the lens vs. focusing
> with the teleconverter's ring)?

For external focusing lenses (all lens elements are moved back and forth
as a unit to focus), it doesn't matter. However, if you set a 50mm at either
0.45 or inf. and focus with the converter, you will have the advantage

of being able to use the magnification scale. This is especially good
for medical/scientific use, so you will know the size of the object. Set
a magnification and move the camera to focus.

For external focusing lenses with close-focus correction, such as the
50/3.5 and 100/2; internal focusing (the lens focuses by changing its
focal length), such as the 180/2; and mixed internal-external focusing
lenses, such as the 50/2 macro, it's best to focus as far as you can
with the lens, then with the converter. The same goes for zooms, which
pretty much all have some degree of internal focusing, and which become
varifocals (zooming requires refocusing) when you use the focus ring
on the converter.

It's a great piece of equipment. It's a good teleconverter, and has
worked well with everything I've tried it on. You don't get the working
distance you do with a longer focal length lense (or the extension
behind the converter.)