Re: [OM] FAQ Additions

Subject: Re: [OM] FAQ Additions
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:13:12 -0700
I was hoping someone else would point this out, but, alas, not in the
last Digest:

Lex writes:

<< The "L" series glass refers to Can-not-an-OM-on's most expensive,
professional line of lenses.  Olympus has never officially made any such
distinction between their lenses, which I believe is commendable. While
some
Zuikos are superior to others, it's not because Olympus chose to make
certain lenses to "amateur" standards and others to "pro" standards
(other
than the Cosina-made lenses under the OM label, which is a whole 'nuther
kettle of worms). >>

The "S Zuikos" *are* amateur market zoom lenses (vs. the "Zuikos").

The lack of a special moniker on high performance lenses is perhaps due
more to marketing folks thinking that the buying public of the 1970s to
1980s didn't have the degree of knowledge needed to differentiate them.
If Olympus could have predicted the success that independents had with
APO, IF, Aspherical, SP, ED, etc., we probably would have seen a
different situation.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV