[OM] Hiatus Hiatus

Subject: [OM] Hiatus Hiatus
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 10:50:37 -0500
Greetings Zuikoids,

Well I'm temperarily taking a hiatus from my hiatus and decided that I need
to spew some arcane facts and fiction to get the list all riled up so I can
quietly make my disappearance again without anybody noticing.

As Joel shared recently, I have re-entered the workforce again after having
been money-free since the beginning of the year.  I've been hired as a data
network engineer for a telephone company and have been hard at work
learning everything there is to know about the telephone business.  I've
got acronyms coming out of my hair follicles..  This job takes me out of
the broadcast/entertainment industry for now, but who knows what the future
holds.

Since, I was sans-income it was rather difficult buying film/processing
while staring into the eyes of two beautiful daughters and a wife that were
about to become homeless.  Times got just a wee-bit bleak when week after
week resulted in dead-ends and non-existant employment opportunities.
Headhunters are worse than worthless.  What it takes is a friend on the
inside putting his own job on the line pulling for you.  Financial miricle
after miricle kept us from bankruptcy and the cooporation of the lenders
was refreshing, but didn't slow the unslaught of dunning notices.  So now
I've got to become an ATM and Frame-Relay expert overnight and learn my way
into assigning CLLI codes.  Hah!  I'm up to a good challenge, though.
Rather exciting, actually.  We just installed something like 300 Cisco
routers to replace a x.25 telemetry network so I've got to learn Cisco
stuff too.

Out of all this I didn't have to sell-off the camera system, although it
was getting pretty close to a fire sale on a few things zuiko.  (shift
lens, etc).  I did buy (thanks to Discover) a bunch of film a few months
ago and travelled to South Dakota and Wyoming for a few days.  Just got
those rolls developed the other day.

My wife, Karen, just completed radiation therapy for breast cancer on
Thursday.  It has sure been a trying year, but it has all turned out very
well and I have truely enjoyed playing Mr. Mom for the better part of 21
months.  Speaking of the offspring, both girls are growing up and are so
beautiful, smart, etc., etc., etc.,  Let's just say that they are perfect
photographic subjects.  They are much more pleasurable to photograph than
any flower.  We give all glory and praise to God for everything we have
experienced, learned and been blessed by.  Our girls are healthy and smart,
Karen's cancer was caught in stage 1, and throughout the unemployment we
never went hungry.

In my next email, I'll get into technical mumbo-jumbo.

Ken Norton
Image66