[OM] Beware seduction by "The (Olympus) LIST"

Subject: [OM] Beware seduction by "The (Olympus) LIST"
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 18:56:57 EDT
Recently Tom Scales stated that he had not bought any new Olympus
items for years until he was seduced by "the LIST" last year. Some "doubting
Thomases" (a group of which Tom is no longer a member) may tend to think
he fabricated his admission for sympathy, to gain an unfair advatage over
Zuiko neophytes (by concealing his avaricious OM/Zuiko nature), or to direct
attention away from his Zuiko-craving habits. But, boys and girls, I accept
his
statement at face value because I too was taken in by the siren songs and
vampish ways of "the (Olympus) LIST." (Sob)

After years of satisfaction with no more than an occasional "OM goodie"
purchase from time to time, I finally felt that I had an adequate, versatile
OM
outfit: 2-OM-1 bodies and an OM-2 body, 35/2.8 WA, 50/3.5 macro, 50/1.4
normal lens, two 75-150/4 zooms, 300/4.5 telephoto lens, a good seven-
element 2X converter, various color, B/W and special effect filters. I had a
VST stand and a bellows/focusing rail/slide duplicating outfit. I had a Heilan
strobe and a Vivitar 283 flash. I had my photographic needs well-attended.
I was content for many years. My finances were in order (well, somewhat).
My Olympus /Zuiko craving was controlled.

Then a few short months ago (oh, the shame and degradation of it) I found
and began surreptiously to frequent "the LIST."  Even though I tried not to
inhale, it got to me. Before long I began to visit "the LIST" openly, boldly,
even
defiantly. I read about equipment and pictures and equipment and deals and
equipment. I read Tom Scale's emails and Doris Fang's emails. Before I even
knew I was in trouble, I was "hooked!" And then came most devastating find
of all.... (Dare I admit it?) I found eBay, the consumate enabler.  (AGGHHH!)
Not to mention frequent offerings from fellow LIST habitues. (Psst! Hey
buddy. Wanna' buy an OM/Zuiko product? It's prime stuff.)

Since that terrible day, I have purchased a 35-70/f3.5-4.5 Zuiko zoom, four
OM-10 bodies for family and friends, several 50/1.8 and an extra 50/1.4
normal lens, two OM-4 bodies, two Winder 2s, a T20 flash, a Vivitar 2X macro
converter, a Tokina 35-70/3.5-4.6 zoom, two (yes, two) Tokina 70-210
/4.5-5.6 zooms, plus a triplet of relatively obscure short and long zoom
tele's which were included in a couple of package deals. (Maybe more. I am
having short term memory lapses when my wife asks about it.) I have sent
two cameras to John H. for CLAs and repairs. Postmen have begun to smile
at me on the street. UPS drivers tip their hats and wave. My wife continues
to stare at me and ask, "Who ARE you?"

I even purchased a 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Crown Graphic so, like Lex, I can shoot
some B/W architectural shots using lens tilts and swings. (It was cheaper
than a Zuiko shift lens, Lex.) I have been searching my local area for
petrified
trees and/or houses constructed from same. (No luck to date.) I have been
hankering for exotic places and surrendipitous photo ops. I'm hooked too,
Tom. (Incidently, I've tried Bayer, Extra-strength Tylenol and Excedrin. They
don't help a bit. However, I am headache free. I am somewhat protected if I
have a heart attack and I am pain-free eight hours at a stretch.)

Young, new, readers of "the LIST." Hit that Delete button. Turn off those
computers. Buy a disposable Fuji or Kodak camera. Take up badminton or
croquet. Watch political caucuses on TV. Do whatever it takes. But, what-
ever you do... beware the crimson lips and honeyed tongue of "the LIST."

With my own tongue firmly planted in cheek,

Robert