[OM] Vacation Tales

Subject: [OM] Vacation Tales
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:38:03 -0600
Well, gang, I'm back!  I had a *wonderful* week-long trip up the Sunshine
Coast (Georgia Straits, British Columbia), Vancouver Island (both
coasts), and the interior of British Columbia (Okanagan, Kootneys,
Canadian Rockies etc.)  Saw lots of great stuff, including a meteor hit a
mountain in the Rockies...  didn't have thedanged camera ready, of
course!  (Sigh!)  I also saw lotsa wildlife, and country 'bout as pretty as it
gets.

I shot 18 rolls of film, mostly ASA 200 Agfa, but also a couple of rolls of
Fuji Realia 100, Agfa Ultra 50, and T-Max 400 (b/w).  Both cameras, the
new-to-me OM-2 and Old Faithful OM-10, performed flawlessly, and I just
*loved* the new-to-me 75-150/f4 lens!  You were right, gang...  I only
twice reached for the longer focal length...  once when shooting a brown
bear from about 50 years (nice safe distance), and once when shooting
a gorgeous schooner (Sigh!  Must be nice to have money!  Sigh!).

Only one problem happened on the trip...  my fault, of course!  (Sigh!)
While cleaning/reorganizing the camera kit while waiting for a ferry, I
noticed that there was a speck of dust on the OM-2 focusing screen.
Foolishly, I tried to clean it with a lens cloth (no brush handy).  Of
course, I managed to grind a nice scratch into the screen!  (Sigh!)  No
big deal, because I could still focus around it, but it bugged me until I got
back to civilization and picked-up another one (1-1) at a used camera
store in Victoria.

So, for anyone who hasn't tried it yet, here's the tip for today...  Do
***NOT*** try and clean a focusing screen with anything ***BUT*** a
proper brush!

Other than that, it was a fantastic trip!  I'm sunburned, broke, and totally
pooped from all the driving, camping, hiking, and "relaxing."  :-)

Thanks, again, for all the advice on lenses, film, photo tips, and so forth!
They all came in *very* handy on the jaunt!  :-)

Regards,

Chris