Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:00:13 GMT
Lex wrote:

rumors abound that Astia is nothing more or less than the old Provia formula. I've also been very satisfied with Sensia II 100 - >it's just a bit warmer than Astia.

The official line is that Astia is a slightly muted version of Provia (RDP II). Colour balance etc is identical, they've just toned down the contrast and colours. They promote it as a portrait film, though I'm not sure about this - skin tones easily go ruddy (red). This is one area where Ektachrome Elite is better. Kodachrome is sadly out of the running for me, since Kodak UK can't get their processing act together.

Sensia II is Astia. Rebate markings are RA (Astia: RAP) and it is effectively the same film, though not classed a 'professional' emulsion. It is not refrigerated or subjected to the same inspection processes so greater variation can be expected between batches. I use a lot of Sensia - it's half the price of the pro films.

There used to be a page at www.fujifilm.com which outlined the (minimal) differences between the pro and 'amateur' emulsions, but they've now reorganised their site and it seems to have disappeared. While I was searching I found an interesting article there by Douglas Dubler on using Astia, though it discusses other aspects of fashion/portrait photography too. I would paste in the URL, but it's very long and it's probably easier using the site search. There is also an article on well-known wildlife pro Frans Lanting using MS100/1000.

As discussed on this list before, one has to be aware that some professionals are paid hansomely by film companies to promote their products (and, in some cases, rubbish the opposition).

Simon E.