Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:54:25 -0500
At 10:19 PM 8/14/2000 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Recently I tried a role of Fujichrome Provia 100F.
>This film was praised a lot on this list, so maybe I should say goodbye to
>the good old kodachromes too...
>Well, I probably will not.
>Yes, Provia 100F does have an extremely fine grain (better than K25!) and a
>higher sensitivity (ISO100 compared to 25 or 64).
>But the ugly green Fuji box still seems to infect the film too

I thought your scans of Provia F looked fine. I doubt the scanner really
"improves" them, but who knows?  Frank Ernens posted an unflattering report
some weeks ago about Provia F and IIRC had some interesting thoughts about
what Fuji does with this film that affects the greens. But I don't quite
remember what he said, and I like the look.  With Provia F Fuji seems to
have "corrected" the problem of RDPII going too much to blue and magenta in
overcast situations and during magic hour. I sometimes liked this effect as
it was watercolorish, but I think Provia F is really good at magic hour --
much more neutral, natural, and controlled.

In flatter lighting, a juicier film like E100VS or Velvia is more
interesting to me.  Astia and Kodachrome are too bland.  On the other hand,
in flatter light, Provia F seems to work nicely for good skin tones.

This is why we all need at least 4 camera bodies. <g>

I would like to shoot Kodachrome again, but you never know what you're
going to get. Perhaps the latest Select version is better.  The special
sharpness of KR appears to be almost a function of the many layers and a
sort of "unsharp mask" result.  Compared to other slide films the emulsion
almost has a bas relief appearance.  If you get a Kodachrome that's gone
green, now that's an ugly green.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA