[OM] iS3000 and Belgium ????

Subject: [OM] iS3000 and Belgium ????
From: "Donald MacDonald" <donald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:50:47 +0100
Thanks to Susan and Per; I felt I had to apologise to the List (the mighty
List) for not using my OMs for the Tour ;-). I used both iS3000 and OM2n for
the Etape du Tour amateur mass ride, and decided my hit rate was going to be
higher using the autofocus. I didn't get a very steep spot this year
(Ventoux was mobbed, totally unreal; checked it out on the Monday and it was
bedlam already) so the race was gone in a flash. And while the slides of
that first day are not bad, they suffer from the usual contrasty Kodachrome
shadows. I really need to learn more about fill-in on these cameras.

On the second day, near Bonnieux, I bagged the inside of a hairpin, and
blasted off a whole roll on continuous drive. Again the slides are not bad,
but I should have got closer. I knew that, but was unsure of how fast I
could focus the iS3000 at that range. I needn't have worried, and that is a
lesson learned for next time. And again, shadow problems.

The slides project OK, but any attempts so far to scan them look dreadful,
just a muddy mess. OK, it's only a Plustek 9636T, but I bought it for
scanning photographs and text, not transparencies. Its transparency adapter
doesn't do much good with my slides, not even the best of them. I'm trying
copying them onto print film using the OM1n and a slide copier I've had for
years.

I'm still emptying the last of the cameras now; lots of other things to do,
unfortunately. One thing I am looking at is the possibilities for making it
to Botrange on the 9th September. It's Fiona's September holiday, and we
have friends in Mondorf-les-Bains in Luxembourg. We've taken the train to
Clervaux from Lux city before, and drove to Bastogne and Liege for the
famous bike race a few years ago. Do-able. Maybe Marc or one of the others
could comment?

Donald.

PS - Really pleased with the OM1n which was off at Camtech for repair. Just
used it for the first time, running like a treat. Thanks John. I really love
that camera (irrational, isn't it? ;-))