[OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome

Subject: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:10:41 +1000
Erwin Voogt wrote

> Recently I tried a role of Fujichrome Provia 100F.
> This film was praised a lot on this list, so maybe I should say goodbye to
> the good old kodachromes too...
>
> But the ugly green Fuji box still seems to infect the film too
> [...]
> Do I stand alone with this opinion or did I had bad luck with the E6
> development (processing was done by an ordinary laboratory, not a
> professional one)?

I posted a comparison of those films on 2 May this year and quite
a few people commented. You could mine the archive for the diverse
opinions. Anyway, it showed how subjective these things are.

I found by photographing a colour chart that Provia 100F was red-brown
under certain conditions. And yes, the greens were "wrong". Fuji
seem to be doing something too clever by half - I suspect there are
two blue layers whose curves cross. And what's with Mr. Bean
endorsing Fuji film?

I have repeated the same test under identical lighting conditions
using Kodachrome 25 - the test results are in a separate mail
item. The results are consistent with my long experience of Kodachrome 64,
but I haven't yet made the formal test and won't be able to until
mid-October at least (I need the identical weather conditions
*and* a Kodachrome lab not choked up with a million films from
Olympics visitors).

> On the other hand, scanning the slides results in much better pictures.
> Kodachromes loose a lot of their brilliance when scanned, while the Provia
> loses its ugly green tint.

Kodak claim they have two calibrations for Photo CD: one for all E6,
including Fuji, and one for Kodachrome.