Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:22:30 EDT
In a message dated 8/15/00 8:37:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> >higher sensitivity (ISO100 compared to 25 or 64).
>  >But the ugly green Fuji box still seems to infect the film too
>
>  I thought your scans of Provia F looked fine. I doubt the scanner really
>  "improves" them, but who knows?  Frank Ernens posted an unflattering report
>  some weeks ago about Provia F and IIRC had some interesting thoughts about
>  what Fuji does with this film that affects the greens. But I don't quite
>  remember what he said, and I like the look.  With Provia F Fuji seems to
>  have "corrected" the problem of RDPII going too much to blue and magenta in
>  overcast situations and during magic hour. I sometimes liked this effect as
>  it was watercolorish, but I think Provia F is really good at magic hour --
>  much more neutral, natural, and controlled.

 The only thing I do not like about Kodachrome 64 and 200 is the greens.
Green forests turn out in shades of brown and black to my eye.  The Fuji
films (Velvia and Provia F) represent greens the way I see them in the
viewfinder. I did have problems with excessive blue in the shadows with
Provia F, but apparently this has now been ameliorated some.

I have been away for a couple of days to Nevada City CA but left my cameras
(Olympus) on the kitchen counter. So I went to a Target and picked up an Oly
Epic 38-80 zoom with which I shot 3 rolls of Fuji Superia. We'll see how they
turn out.

Warren