[OM] Flatiron building, with & without

Subject: [OM] Flatiron building, with & without
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:16:46 GMT
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Duhhh ... SC ... MC ...? Which one reflects purple? That's what this one is.

Working with the shifter is trickier than I expected, 'specially without the grid screen. While I *never* bother looking at the bubble level on my tripod, I had to using this lens. And that tripod has some serious limitations where accuracy is concerned (the 360º scales ain't exactly precise).

Also, while I could line up the rear of the flatiron building on the vertical, the front still converges a bit. But adjusting things the other direction looked goofy, so I left it as-is.

Shooting ordinary buildings head-on is even trickier - it's real easy to overshoot and produce images in which the building appears wider at the top than bottom. Got a few of those on a different building.

The second photo with all the curvature was shot with a cheap generic semi-fisheye adaptor atop a Zuiko 50/1.8. The adaptor is woefully unsharp at the edges, but not too awful in the center - and it's fun. The thingie at the top right is part of a traffic signal, and some vignetting from over-polarization can be seen too. I placed the polarizer between the Zuiko and the adaptor, the only way to use filters with this fisheye doodad.

I believe some of the flatiron building is in use again after many years of neglect. And there are plans to rework the area - plans are actually posted for public view on the short white wall visible at the rear of the building. Every city should have a flatiron building - it's a real attention-grabber.

The short, modern-era (not to say contemporary, which has a different meaning in this context) building behind the flatiron building is a hotel, thankfully saved from demolition. Fort Worth has done a pretty good job of integrating new construction without rubbing out the old.

The tatty-looking monolith behind the hotel is home to the local utilities company, I think. Ho-hum.

Anyone wanna see close ups of the gargoyles on the flatiron building, taken with the 75-150/4 Zuiko? Okay...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005538&a=7400079&p=26332123&Sequence=0

This one's of the rear - still needs work...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005538&a=7400079&p=26332124&Sequence=0

Lex
===