Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:21:26 -0500
Hi Simon,

At 08:32 AM 8/16/2000 GMT, Simon E. you wrote:
>I was suprised Joel commented that he found Astia too bland - the
>differences are very small. However, tastes vary. There are some Kodachrome
>die-hards on this list, and each film has its qualities. It is a matter of
>matching the film to your subject, lighting and personal preferences.

Let me put it another way:  when the light is bland, Astia faithfully
records it that way. <g>  So does Kodachrome even at its best, I think.  I
don't find either too bland when I want the characteristics they provide.
I think Astia is a perfect substitute for KR in the old "Kodachrome light"
when a bigger-paletted film goes screwball.  We're lucky to have some films
like E100VS and Elite EBX that provide a little punch when it may be
desirable.  When it is desirable, of course, is a matter of personal taste.

These kinds of discussion ultimately end up saying more about the
photographer than the film. :-)

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA