Re: [OM] Flatiron building, with & without

Subject: Re: [OM] Flatiron building, with & without
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:03:12 GMT
Whoa! John! I'm not sniping at *you*. I'M the one who can't tell the difference between SC and MC Zuikos. No offense intended.

Also, a thousand pardons for copying my reply (and your original off-list message) to the list. My brain-fart. Gotta rework my auto-responder parameters.

You're absolutely right about muralists. That place on the flatiron building would make a perfect blank canvas. (How 'bout a giant ironing board? ;)) In fact, some downtown buildings have incorporated an eclectic blend of murals reflecting the "Cowtown" theme, along with newer buildings using alternative exteriors like acrylic stucco (the new courthouse is referred to as "The World's Largest Beer Cooler") which are cleverly painted to resemble classic older architectural facades. Then there are the truly classic structures like the flatiron building. Even the Bass buildings are saved from being merely anonymous glass towers by the incorporation of funny little places that jut out here and there.

Despite the fact that Fort Worth is still recovering from the March tornado that smacked directly into downtown, it's still well worth a visit. Lots of windows are still boarded up, but it's easy to shoot around and you can plainly see what the buildings *should* look like. Of all the cities I've visited and lived in - and there are many - Fort Worth remains my favorite, and it has the most easily negotiated downtown area. You can travel the entire area on foot and see a wonderful variety of architecture. But, please, try to overlook and forgive some of the crappy anonymous monoliths you'll see here and there. Like most cities, Fort Worth went through a personality disorder phase.

Lex
===