Re: [OM] FAQ additions...

Subject: Re: [OM] FAQ additions...
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:10:53 GMT
I recently saw a Tenba system that looks pretty nifty. It combines a pants-suspenders type harness with pouches the surround the wearer's waist (or ample tummy, as in the case of the fellow modeling the rig). Sorta resembles one of those "ergonomic back support" things you see employees at nearly every grocery store wearing nowadays. Check into that one, it might do the trick. Made of loose-fitting cotton duck so it's breathable.

The problem with supporting heavy gear on a belt rig is balance so that weight distribution isn't critical. Compare the long-popular design of police belt gear with old style military web gear. The thick, stiff police belt supports lots of doodads, but doesn't go off-balance as soon as the pistol, baton or radio is removed. Old style military web gear, OTOH, was a nightmare to keep equipment secure and balanced.

I'm thinking a similar rig supported both by suspenders and a belt would really help distribute the weight. This might prompt me to learn how to sew. My grandma used to make all kinds of stuff for several generations of us wee ones, before her back gave out. I've still got my boxing trunks (not that they fit) and gym bag she made for me nearly 30 years ago. That heavy denim duffel bag just won't wear out. Nowadays it mostly serves as my ferret's sleeping bag.

Lex
===