Re: [OM] Shipping costs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shipping costs ?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 01:15:15 +0100
Ruediger Betzold wrote{
> somehow off topic, but can anyone tell me please
> how much it will cost to send some stuff from
> the USA to my place (Berlin/Germany)
> are there different possibilities ?
> - land/sea (longest)
> - by air (shortest)
>
> Any difference between postal service and united parcel service
> does they include/exclude insurance - up to what value ?
>
> I think weight might be between 1 and 2 pounds (~1 kilogramm)
>
> to make it Oly related:
> I might bid some flash cable stuff and/or lens from eBay and seller
> is in the usa.

As a new eBay bidder in the UK, these questions have been in my mind lately
too. My first successful bid was yesterday (for an imitation Leitz table
tripod and ballhead) and to make things complicated the seller doesn't seem
to have, or want, a bank account so it looks as though I'll have to send
cash - it's only $25.50.

For postal charges see http://ircalc.usps.gov/Speed.asp - I haven't yet seen
this site, its URL was given to me today by this seller. As far as I could
tell, the last item sent to me by USPS Global Priority Mail took about three
days from Texas, but sat in HM Customs for another four!

> And for the last question: will there be any exchange charges for the
> seller in sending him an international money order ?

I have sent International MOs to the USA in the past and you just specify in
US dollars the total amount the seller wants. He gets that amount while the
buyer pays the exchange charges and an additional fee. I haven't had an
opportunity to try it yet but BidPay (links to it on eBay) looks to be an
easy way to send funds to the US (and some other parts of the world) if the
seller accepts it. Some don't, and I wonder why not. Billpoint and PayPal
are of no use to anyone outside the US at present.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)
k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx