[OM] An update from Chuck

Subject: [OM] An update from Chuck
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:01:45 -0400
Well, here's the OM part.  After threatening to do so for months I have
finally sent my original OM-1 and an OM-2n off to John H. for some TLC.
The OM-1 had fallen into disuse after I got my Om-2s and hasn't been
used in several years.  I'm anxious to give it a go again.

A couple of months ago, after Tom Scales raved on about his Acer Scanwit
2720s film scanner I found one (NIB) at auction for an exceptionally
good price.  Now, two months later, it's finally working and eventually
I'll have enough time to figure out how to work it properly.  It has
been a nightmare ordeal to figure out why it wasn't working all this
time but Acer tech support (available free 24 hours/day) have been real
champs... especially considering that the problem wasn't theirs at all.

After going through three SCSI cards (two supplied by Acer and one by
Adaptec)and about 1,237 software driver versions and re-installs I
eventually sent the entire box back to Acer.  After getting lost in the
warehouse for about 1 week it eventually came back as:  "No trouble
found".  Since Windows had seemed to have trouble with the SCSI cards
from the beginning I began to suspect some fundamental problem back at
the motherboard (an EPoX MVP3E with Via Apollo chipset).

Contacting EPoX tech support just got me a note to try all the stuff I
had already tried.  But, there was a notice on their web site that they
had upgraded Windows drivers available for the Via Apollo chipset.  Wow!
Sez I!  I thought the BIOS was the only guy diddling with my
motherboard's chipset parameters.  Little did I know!  I read the
description of the 4 fixes in the package and none of it sounded
particularly germane.  Decided to install it anyhow.  Whamo! On reboot
after install the scanner suddenly came alive and started talking.  My
best guess is that there was something wrong with the Windows PCI IRQ
routing tables.

Well, now it seems I suddenly have a "color darkroom" that I have to
figure out how to use.  I was never particularly good at the B&W
darkroom that I closed down 15 years ago.  Well, maybe I'll go out and
buy a Nikor tank and some developer and some Tri-X and load up the old
OM-1 when John H. gets through with it.  John is probably pretty backed
up but it will take me a long time to figure out how to twiddle all the
"knobs" on this scanner beast anyhow.  I guess I'll eventually have to
post some images somewhere.

My son is still suffering from occasional, minor vertigo but has been
allowed to make some test flights in both NY State Police and National
Guard helicopters. He recently spent 4 hours driving a simulator through
a lot of gyrations with no vertigo apparent.  Going back for some more
inner ear treatment which will hopefully clear it up for good.  In a few
weeks it will be one year since the accident.  Still not back on regular
flight status but very much alive and well.

Cheers all,
Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA