Re: [OM] What to do if ASA is set wrong

Subject: Re: [OM] What to do if ASA is set wrong
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:07:01 GMT
Depends on the film. If it's a typical color negative film and you've inadvertently set the ASA too low (in effect, overexposing the film), I wouldn't worry about it. Most 400 films can handle being set to 200; 200 can handle 100; etc. Underexposure is trickier but many films can handle up to a full stop of underexposure without significant loss of printability.

With autoexposure cameras like my XA-3 (after taping over the DX code bars) I've routinely adjusted the ASA setting up and down in the same roll to ensure a fast enough shutter speed in dim light to prevent blur, or a slower shutter speed/wider aperture to offset strong backlighting. With 400 and 800 color print films most shots turn out great. Even with slower films it works pretty well. I wouldn't try it with slide films tho'.

Lex
===