Re: [OM] What to do if ASA is set wrong

Subject: Re: [OM] What to do if ASA is set wrong
From: hcutting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:01:18 -0400
I've just got to throw in my two cents as I've done this a few times.  My
solution is to immediately rewind film, pull it out, note the erroneous EI
used on the canister, re-load camera with fresh roll, set the ASA correctly
and continue filming....

My thinking is: why continue with the error any longer than necessary?  Even
if the film is salvageable it will almost definitely not be as good as a
"correct" EI (or one you deliberately chose).  Better to cut your losses
ASAP.  Same goes for re-setting EI in mid-roll; pull it out and start over
with a fresh roll.  Re-setting EI commits entire roll to one process spec.,
necessarily sacrificing some exposures.  At best, some frames will be okay
and some will be less than okay (possibly unusable).

Later, when you're deciding what to do at least you will have the least
possible amount of "bad" film to deal with - and you won't need to sacrifice
any of it so that the mid-roll re-set exposures will work out.

Harry