[OM] Joshua Tree...

Subject: [OM] Joshua Tree...
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:12:27 -0700 (PDT)
> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:18:06 GMT
> From: "Charles Geilfuss" <cgeilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>   To the point: I will be traveling to Southern California in September and
> plan to shoot in the nearby Joshua Tree National Park. Has anyone on the
> List been there; do you have any suggestions of particularly good spots? My
> time in the area will be limited (darned meeting!)so I must use it wisely.
> Since my body will be on EST it should be an ideal time for early
> morning/sunrise shots. Also can anyone recommend a good slide film for
> photograghing in the desert? My preconceived notion is that there will be
> little color so I'm cosidering using E100vs for some extra color pop as well
> as my usual Kodachrome. I've never visited a desert area so any advice would
> be appreciated (we have lots of heat here in SC but little desert). Thanks
>
> Charlie Geilfuss

It has been a long time, but I remember wishing I had a camera on a
pleasant walk out to an old mining site away from the famous rock climbing
areas.  Old mining equipment makes for great photo subjects.  Consider b/w
film... I wouldn't bother photographing climbers unless you can safely
reach their elevation. Shots of climbers from below never seem to capture
the mood.

Don't even think of photographing during the glare and heat of midday and
apply the adage about film ("take twice what you think you will need") to water!
Sorry, but I can't find my old map at the moment.

The "Desert Queen Ranch" is sometime opened especially for photographers,
but the general public tour doesn't allow tripods (or eating which I find an
essential part of an photo expedition!).
Inquire on arrival.

> That sounds novel..I "give" to you my money, and you "give" to me the
> product??  :=)
>
> Susan Steele

My favorite 20th century merchandising quote: "Free gift with every
purchase!"
=====
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")