RE: [OT] hifi was:[OM] Lens Test - Long and Opinionated

Subject: RE: [OT] hifi was:[OM] Lens Test - Long and Opinionated
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:15:57 GMT
Good points, Frank. When I bought my first stereo gear during the '70s, tho' value was a major consideration, styling and sensible ergonomics were important factors. So I got a Technics receiver/amp, Teac tape deck, Technics turntable, Bose 301's - not because they were superior to anything else at the price (how would I know, I just listen to loud rock & roll?), but because they appeared to be well made and the controls were easy to operate without a manual.

That first rig was comparable to the SLRs of the day - the OMs, etc. Straightforward, good looking, no pointless frills.

Compare that with today's all-in-one stereos with flashing glowinkies, artificial sound modifiers ("concert hall", "club", etc.) and styling that will be embarrassing 10 years from now (assuming they're still working). A lot like today's entry level AF/AE P&S and SLR cameras.

So my preference for camera gear is pretty much the same. I want it to work, not cost a lot, and not get in my way. Factors like ultimate resolution are not at the top of my list. Photos with impact are. For me, that's easier to accomplish with gear that works intuitively. That's something the OMs do very well.

Lex
===