Re: [OM] Joshua Tree...

Subject: Re: [OM] Joshua Tree...
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:12:10 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/00 10:29:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > From: "Charles Geilfuss" <cgeilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  >   To the point: I will be traveling to Southern California in September
> and
>  > plan to shoot in the nearby Joshua Tree National Park. Has anyone on the
>  > List been there; do you have any suggestions of particularly good spots?

I was there a couple of weeks ago to take a particular shot.  There is an
arch of granite to the left of the White Tank campground. I was "very good"
and got up a 3 am to drive to JT to get there for the sunrise through the
arch. Unfortunately, when I got there it was still dark and I couldn't find
the arch until well past sunrise.  I wandered through miles (it seems) of
giant rock formations.  IIRC the arch was past campground #9.  The good thing
was that I was in and out of the park so early I didn't get charged any fees.

Another fantastic area was the Hidden Valley area. This is a short loop hike.
Also try to see the Jumbo Rock area and try to catch the climbers.  If it is
clear, drive to Keys View for a great view of the valley that holds Palm
Springs.

Also on the to-be-visited list is the Wonderland of Rocks. On the way out on
the sourthern exit is the Cholla Forest. Somewhere I have some wonderful
backlit shots of this cactus (known to be the most painful cactus in the
world).

Try to arrive there and leave before 11 am as it is really hot this time of
the year.

On the way there (or back) you can see the windmill farms to the north of
Palm Springs.
See:
http://members.aol.com/wkato/myhomepage/wmill.jpg
which is a 35mm Velvia slide scanned with a 600 dpi Acer flatbed scanner.
Please ignore the little missive in the photo.

One of the prettiest areas on the way to JT is the Morongo Nature preserve.
This is a year round oasis in the middle of the desert.

Have fun,

Warren