[OM] Print Films

Subject: [OM] Print Films
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 09:21:15 -0600
I just got back the last of the rolls shot while I was on the week-long
trek to B.C. and Vancouver Island.  Now, all I've gotta do is get around
to getting them sorted, scanned, and online.  :-)

Anyway, while I was wandering through a camera store in Courtenay,
B.C.  (yeah, the "addiction" uhh....  "hobby" hit me during vacation and I
just *had* to go looking for used Oly stuff!), and the salesperson
suggested that I try a roll of Agfa Ultra ASA 50 film.  He said this stuff
would "blow my socks off" with the colors it produces.  So, not wanting
to leave empty-handed (no, he didn't have anything Oly/Zuiko ... tsk!
tsk!), I bought a roll.  I ended-up shooting it in Chemainus, a quaint little
tourist trap where there are lots of wonderful wall murals.

Well, the salesperson was right!  The colors on that shot are *really*
rich!  Reds come out *really* red, and so forth!  Although I didn't take
identical shots with another color film (the OM-10 had b/w in it at the
time), comparable shots also taken in Chemainus on cheapo ASA 200
(made by Agfa I'm told) look washed-out in comparison.

My only "complaint" is that the stuff is so slow (or is it fast?) that taking
shots in low light was difficult to impossible.  Anything that was taken in
low lighting (or shadows) without a flash lost alot of detail in the darker
areas of the shots.

Has anyone else ever tried Agfa Ultra 50?  If so, was this just a fluke, or
does that stuff *really* produce colors that rich all the time?  Also, is
there comparable print films with higher ASA rating (Kodak?  Fuji?
Agfa?)?  I really *do* like the colors that Agfa Ultra prduced, but would
much rather have a higher ASA rating (100 or preferably 200).

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  If anyone is interested, I'll put a couple of scans online for
comparison purposes.