Re: [OM] Shiping costs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shiping costs ?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:08:12 -0500
I've consistently found the Post Office to be my best shipping method,
particularly outside of the U.S.  Everyone else is either more expensive or
a bigger hassle.  The Post Office ships everywhere and, at least in the
U.S., Priority Mail is consistently a couple days faster than UPS.

I've gotten to know most of the people at my Post office (they just roll
their eyes when I come in with a pile of boxes).  They've all mentioned that
Ebay is the single biggest reason in their increase in small packages.

Tom

> My experience is that the Canadian PO will inconsistently charge tax
> (GST+PST)=150lus $5 brokerage on items over about $150 US.  The
> actual amount probably depends on their workload and when in the
> shift the item comes, and whether the item looks home-packed.
>
> Canadian law allows stuff up to $20 cdn in w/o tax, or $60 if a gift.
> This is important if you use FedEx or UPS.
>
> UPS likes to charge $20+ brokerage on everything taxable under the
> law. DHL & FedEx have free brokerage on stuff to Canada.
>
> Others' experience?
>
> Tom
>
> At Thursday, August 17, 2000 8:48, Lex Jenkins <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> spoke about *Re: [OM] Shiping costs ?...* saying
>
> > Ditto, Larry's experiences.  I've mailed (USPS) items to Canada and
Europe.