Re: [OM] ......@#!#$$ Black specks.......

Subject: Re: [OM] ......@#!#$$ Black specks.......
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 13:40:54 +0000
I don't think I have any lenses without either a few miniscule specks of
dust or perhaps a couple specks of the black matte finish from the baffle.
It's all a matter of how much debris there is and how big.  A few the size
of silt particles will not hurt anything.  It's too small and too few to
soften the image or even cause any flare.  Any affect from them is utterly
dominated by too many other ray paths through the optics from wide open to
completely stopped down (gots photos to prove it).

Some of them enter through the focus helical; others by the lens
"breathing" through temperature, pressure (incl. altitude) changes; and I'm
certain a few are from the internal matte paint.

-- John